Harley Davidson motorcycle model WLA.
Production number #60298 and date of the 15th September 1944. Restored many years ago, this iconic Harley WLA is perfectly functional and usable.
Documents and French collector’s registration included.
Selling price: 29 500€.
If you are interested then please CLICK HERE to see their website to see a selection of great items including this vehicle.
THIS HAS NOW SOLD – Check out the photos below and their website for more amazing vehicles.
A brief history of the Harley Davidson WLA
The Harley-Davidson WLA was a motorcycle used by the United States Armed Forces during World War II. It was based on the civilian Harley-Davidson WL model, but was modified for military use.
In 1940, the US Army requested proposals for a motorcycle to be used for military purposes. Harley-Davidson, along with Indian Motorcycle Company, submitted a design based on their existing models. After a series of tests and evaluations, Harley-Davidson was awarded the contract in 1941 to produce the motorcycle, which was designated the WLA.
The WLA was powered by a 45 cubic inch (750 cc) side-valve V-twin engine that produced 23 horsepower. It had a top speed of around 65 miles per hour and a range of approximately 200 miles. The motorcycle was equipped with a variety of features specifically designed for military use, including blackout lights, a luggage rack, and a rifle scabbard.
During World War II, the WLA was used by US forces in a variety of roles, including dispatch and reconnaissance. Its small size and agility made it well-suited for navigating through difficult terrain, and it was widely used in the European and Pacific theaters of war.
After the war, many surplus WLAs were sold to civilians, and they became popular among motorcycle enthusiasts for their ruggedness and reliability. Today, the Harley-Davidson WLA is highly sought after by collectors and enthusiasts, and is considered an important piece of US military and motorcycle history.
An overview of the specifications
- 45 cubic inch (750 cc) side-valve V-twin
- 23 horsepower at 4,400 rpm
- 4-speed constant-mesh gearbox with foot-operated clutch
- Duplex tubular steel cradle frame
- Telescopic front forks
- Rigid rear suspension
- 8-inch diameter drum brakes front and rear
- Length: 90 inches (229 cm)
- Height: 42 inches (107 cm)
- Wheelbase: 59 inches (150 cm)
- Ground clearance: 6 inches (15 cm)
- Weight: 560 pounds (254 kg) with oil and gas
- Top speed: approximately 65 miles per hour (105 km/h)
- Range: approximately 200 miles (322 km) on a full tank
- 6-volt electrical system
- Blackout lights for night-time use
- Luggage rack and saddlebags for carrying supplies
- Rifle scabbard mounted on the left side of the motorcycle
Note that these are general specifications and may vary depending on the year and model of the WLA.