Estimate 12,000€ – 18,000€
Introducing the M1 A1 Wrecker, a heavy-duty wrecker used by the US Army. This particular model, with the chassis number #434202, was produced in 1944. With its impressive grille and size, the Ward Wrecker is highly sought after and a must-have addition to any collection, especially with its original Continental engine.
The Ward Wrecker played a crucial role within tank units, serving as an essential tool for maintenance tasks. Its versatility made it a valuable asset. This Ward France model from the collection is a simplified version, specifically designed for military use, and it is in excellent mechanical and body condition.
Equipped with its original Continental 22 R engine and accompanying peripherals, this Wrecker remains true to its production specifications. Both the front and rear winches, manufactured by Garwood USA, are original and come complete with their cables, chains, and hooks. The standard towing triangle can be found on the front bumper, while the iconic “Ward la France” plate, representing the renowned wrecker manufacturer, proudly adorns the imposing front grille.
The dashboard retains its complete set of instrumentation, including the original steering wheel. The name and use plates are faithful reproductions, maintaining the authentic US touch. Moving to the rear, all the lifting systems remain in their original configuration. The controls, such as the gas pedal and clutch control assistance during lifts, as well as the levers, winches, cables, and pulleys, conform to the original production specifications and are fully functional. The operating plates for these systems are present as well.
Noteworthy features include the two original searchlights and a distinctive red siren fixed on the wing. The Ward la France Wrecker stands out due to its unique design and dimensions, and its limited production makes it a rare find. Preserving and collecting this exceptional vehicle is highly recommended for enthusiasts and collectors alike.
- Role: The M1 A1 Wrecker was primarily designed as a recovery vehicle to tow and salvage disabled or damaged military vehicles, including tanks and trucks.
- Chassis: The M1 A1 Wrecker was built on a sturdy and robust chassis, providing the necessary strength and stability for its heavy-duty tasks.
- Engine: The engine used in the M1 A1 Wrecker was the Continental 22 R engine. This engine was commonly used in various military vehicles during that time period.
- Winches: The M1 A1 Wrecker featured both front and rear winches, manufactured by Garwood USA. These winches were essential for the vehicle’s recovery operations and were equipped with cables, chains, and hooks.
- Towing Capacity: The M1 A1 Wrecker had a substantial towing capacity, allowing it to recover and tow a range of vehicles, including tanks and trucks.
- Lifting Systems: The wrecker’s lifting systems were designed to safely and efficiently lift disabled vehicles. It featured controls, levers, and pulleys, along with gas pedal and clutch control assistance during lifts.
- Accessories: The M1 A1 Wrecker had various accessories, such as a standard towing triangle mounted on the front bumper and searchlights for improved visibility during recovery operations. It also had a distinctive red siren fixed on the wing.
- Dimensions: The exact dimensions of the M1 A1 Wrecker may vary, but it was generally a substantial and imposing vehicle, reflecting its heavy-duty capabilities.