10th July 1945 Ford GPW Jeep
This 1945 Ford Jeep has been totally restored in america to a good standard. The jeep has matching numbers engine and also frame which is a rare and nice feature as most have had a replacement in the 77 years of use. This jeep has been driven around the industrial estate and drives well plus it even has indicators. It has a replacement MD Juan body on it with some original parts fitted. You could pretty much hop in and drive it straight home but needs road registering which we can help with.
This great vehicle is available from AMD Four Wheel Drive in the UK.
CLICK HERE to to contact the seller.
The Ford GPW Jeep was a military vehicle produced by Ford during World War II. Here are some of its technical specifications:
- Engine: Willys “Go-Devil” L-head 4-cylinder engine
- Displacement: 2.2 L (134 cu in)
- Horsepower: 60 hp at 4,000 rpm
- Torque: 105 lb-ft at 2,000 rpm
- Transmission: 3-speed manual (T-84)
- Transfer case: Spicer 18 two-speed, part-time 4WD
- Suspension: Front and rear live axles with semi-elliptical leaf springs
- Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes
- Steering: Ross worm-and-roller gear
- Top speed: Approximately 65 mph (105 km/h)
- Range: Approximately 300 miles (480 km)
- Weight: 2,435 lb (1,104 kg)
- Length: 132 inches (3.35 m)
- Width: 62 inches (1.57 m)
- Height: 70 inches (1.78 m)
- Ground clearance: 8.75 inches (22 cm)
- Fuel capacity: 15 gallons (57 L)
A brief history of the GPW Ford jeep history
The Ford GPW Jeep was a military vehicle produced by Ford during World War II. The Jeep was developed as a response to the U.S. Army’s need for a lightweight, all-terrain vehicle that could be used for reconnaissance, troop transport, and other purposes. The original concept for the Jeep was developed by American Bantam, but due to production constraints, the design was shared with Ford and Willys-Overland, who both produced their own versions of the Jeep.
The Ford GPW Jeep was based on the Willys MB Jeep, which was the first Jeep produced for the U.S. Army. However, due to production demands, the U.S. Army contracted with Ford to produce additional Jeeps using Willys’ design. Ford’s version of the Jeep was designated GPW, with “G” standing for Government contract, “P” for 80-inch wheelbase, and “W” for Willys engine design. The Ford GPW Jeep was produced from 1941 to 1945, with approximately 277,896 units built.
The Ford GPW Jeep played a critical role in World War II, serving as a versatile and reliable vehicle for troops and logistics support. The Jeep was used for a variety of tasks, including reconnaissance, transportation of troops and supplies, and even as a makeshift ambulance. The Jeep’s off-road capabilities and durability made it well-suited for use in a variety of environments, from desert landscapes to rugged mountain terrain.
After the war, the Jeep continued to be used by the U.S. military and was also adopted by other militaries around the world. The Jeep’s legacy continues today, with many enthusiasts restoring and preserving these iconic vehicles as a symbol of American military history.